Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Missing Descent

All of us played through Descent 1 and 2 back in the day (remember the Thief bot? what a douche) but none of us played through the critically acclaimed third game in the series. Probably because none of us finished the first two games but whatever.

All I remember is that Kieren destroyed his computer (not literally) by recording twenty four hours (or somefink) of Descent back in the day.

Anyway for some stupid reason I've recently been thinking about playing the third game, it's available for literally the price of chips and... you know... is a missing part of our history or whatever.

I've held off because A) I like chips and B) Since the first two were basically giant mazes I assume the third is too, I'm sure the frustration of getting lost would turn me off about four seconds in (yo mamma).

So what is the point of this post then?
Fuck and you.

The movie Descent was pretty good... it didn't have robots though... or any ties to the game in any way shape or form... it may have had boobies though, and isn't that what Descent is all about?
No.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of not Descent but of Doom etc, Tom Hall, creator of the mighty Dopefish (keen), had a stroke recently.
    That kind of sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy just to play the first two games again with 3D hardware acceleration. Did they ever get patched to run that way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished freespace 2 recently, (so awesome) but there is a video preview of descent 3 on the disc. Looks mazey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good old games (gog) are selling 1 & 2 bundled together, along with the descent 1 & 2 soundtracks for 5.99. Win Xp + Vista and patched to use 3d acceleration.

    I'm going to take the dive with descent 3 and see what is at the other end of the tunnel.

    @ Dan Freespace 2 is awesome. I'll have to lend you the first one day.

    ReplyDelete