Monday, August 9, 2010

Make some sense people. Make. Some. Sense.

I've been complaining to Kieren recently about a singer that I've heard every friggen time I walk into a store. At the time I didn't know their name but now I do and it turns out it is a band: Paramore.

Now I'm sure Paramore has their fans and that I'm not listening to their music properly because I don't have that special something in my brain that they are trying to appeal to but Paramore, to me, suck ass.

This isn't about how much they suck ass though, as there are many bands out there that do. This is about making sense of what the hell modern day musicians are talking about.

Now in Paramore's famous single 'The only exception' the lyrics go a little something like-a dis:

'And that was the day that I promised I'd never sing of love, if it don't exist but darling you are the only exception and you are the only exception, yes you are the only... etc"

Now I think what the singer is trying to say is: I didn't think love existed but you came in and changed my mind.

but really it reads as: I'm never going to sing about love if it doesn't exist, but i'll sing about you for the hell of it.

I don't know if I'm right on this because the sentence does strange things to my brain but anyway it gets on my nerves. Then on the train I was playing a music game on my PSP and I came across another song that made no sense.

Now, before I write the lyrics keep in mind that A) the songwriter is Korean writing in English) and B) the song is called 'Power of Dream' ... not 'Power of Dreams' or 'The power of the dream'.

'We don't know the game, we don't know the rules, so we know just what to do.'

zuh?

I'm not going to rag on it anymore because it's really more an example of 'Konglish' (as my Korean associates call it) than anything else. Konglish sounds like it is the language of Donkey Kong. I know that Monkey, his name is Donkey.

There are many more examples which I can't think of right now.

Did you know the lyrics to Daddy Cool aren't 'He's crazy like a fool... what about Daddy Cool?' but actually 'She's crazy like a fool, wild about Daddy Cool'. That makes so much more sense.

3 comments:

  1. Paramore sucks, yes. A few of their songs have popped up in the Rock Band and Guitar Hero games, so that's how I know them. It wasn't specific lyrics that got up my nose, but just the general snottiness of the whole enterprise. At the time the band started, I believe the leader singer was only seventeen or eighteen ... and that leads to all of the "I'm independent, crazy, and you can't cope with my off-the-wall-edness" lyrics. Kind of like Avril Lavinge with just a modicum more edge.

    Oh, and I like the new theme. I dig the blue. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you hit it right on the head, they've got another song I always hear in stores where they say 'I've got a feeling if I sing this loud enough you will sing it back to me'. It repeats progressively getting louder. Feel the angst unleash!

    God I hate them. Also I think I've listened to Earth, Wind and Fire's 'Fantasy' ten times today. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete